Wednesday, April 8, 2015

hair update: the evolution of my mane

song pair: FourFive Seconds by Rihanna, Kanye West & Paul McCartney

you may have noticed my ever evolving hair. it has been a humbling journey. when one decides to do things differently they don't always account for error. i actively try not to regret the risk. people alter their hair everyday. i have been bleaching mine for more than a decade. i wanted a change. i just didn't know the complexity of the change.

attempt # 1, i requested brown hair. 

when auburn hair emerged, i tentatively embraced it.
a few weeks later, the color became a strange iridescent...so I returned back to the salon.

the stylist layered it with darker color, hoping it would cover the emerging hue. it worked for awhile, until it began happening again. look closely at the image below. the first layer at the top. it was discolored where i had breakage or split ends, where my hair was least healthy. the PH balance of my locks were impacted by the years of bleach. the purple/blue spectrum was surfacing.   


the color layering continued, 4 times. it was always a lovely product initially, but inevitably began changing tints in the less healthy areas. 

after four stints in the salon chair and a friend commenting that my hair looked black, i ultimately i made the decision to change direction. 
insanity = doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result. 
things were only temporarily improving and i needed a plan. vanity was getting the best of me. 


a friend recommended a stylist {who i love!} she is concentrating first and foremost on the vitality of my hair, not just veiling imperfection. 
we started with a good chop. i will have deep conditioning treatments for six weeks before she will assess the color. she believes my hair was previously two shades lighter than it should have been and is currently two shades darker, relative to my skin tone. i couldn't agree more. 

before/after
i am feeling hopeful with this new plan in place, and trying to giggle at myself along the way. 



2 comments:

gosara said...

I didn't even read this before I called and made an appointment at your new place. Excited now to see how it goes!! Your latest cut looks great!

Tiffany said...

Love, love the cut!

This site was made with love by Angie Makes