Wednesday, August 27, 2014

hello instagram!

the other night I was lying in bed listening to the purring snores of my southern gent, when an idea crossed my mind. the bulk of my really good thoughts happen in solitude. i picked up my phone and promptly deactivated my facebook account. moments earlier, i had come to the realization that i have lost my wonder. i had ceased to wonder about family and friend's lives. forms of social media have compromised a wonderful part of my imagination. i have noticed that social gatherings have changed. i don't have many questions for friends, because i know what they have been up to. i know their child got a haircut last week and they just returned from Jamaica. i know school started for a friend's teenage son and another friend just ended a marriage. it has stifled my curiosity and inquiries.   
i want that wonder back. i want that innate desire to run into a friend and have an authentic conversation about where their journey has been taking them. 
there are certainly elements i will miss. my facebook experience was always positive. i generated ideas and smiles scrolling down my news feed. i luckily did not experience any dramatic encounters in the multiple years i have been a member. facebook connects people like no other outlet ever has. i absolutely appreciate the time spent. and i can always re join if i get the itch. 

until then, you can find me on instagram. i will have a much more private profile and mostly only follow people i don't have a personal connection with. you know, gwen stefani and lady gaga. 

my hope is to pick up the phone more and write more emails. i hope to restore that wonder and i am confident it will swiftly return. 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!
From probably one of the few 'non-facebook' friends you have I'm excited that perhaps I'm now ahead of the curve in a trend that will start reconnecting true 'friends' with each other in the form of the telephone or hand written card/letter (gasp!). There's something to be said about NOT knowing every detail of everyone's lives - it gives you more time to focus on living your own. Welcome to the club girlfriend! ;-P

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way......also, I find that the time with Facebook steals the time I have to just be in solitude and reflect on my own life, not look at someone else's! Thanks for the reminder!

gosara said...

I do love that you're on insta now though ;). Here's another added bonus to getting off facebook: deleting the app opens up a good amount of storage space on your phone! So you can take more fun pictures! Can't wait to hear all about your recent trip!

This site was made with love by Angie Makes