Tuesday, July 16, 2013

scrubbing my guts

I know, I know. I have been a stranger lately. The good news is, it's because life is happening and I am enjoying the ride. I vowed this would be the best.summer.ever. And so far so good! I finally recovered from Laryngitis, hooray! It forced me to take 2.5 days off of work. A work-a-holic tends to get a little stir crazy sitting at home. But my voice was happy for the break.
The other element, in my journey back to health, was my juice cleanse! I had completed an herbal cleanse once or twice...but I am new to the juice craze. It was quite the experience. I received 18 juices via FedEx on a Wednesday morning and began my voyage. The combination of juices was: vegetable--citrus--vegetable--citrus--vegetable--dairy. Six juices a day for three days. The first day I met with clients all day as my tummy yelled obscenities at me. The vegetable juices were a bit tough to swallow, but it was reassuring to read about all of the essential nutrients feeding my body.


sweet greens: kale, spinach, parsley, watercress, apple (sweet)
grapefruit mint: grapefruit, mint (refreshing)
essential greens: cucumber, kale, parsley, celery, apple, spinach, romaine, lemon (gulp)
spicy lemonade: lemon, lime, cayenne pepper, raw agave, filtered h2o (yum)
essential red: carrot, beet, apple, lemon (meh)
almond milk: vanilla bean, dates, filtered h2o (best part of the day. tasted like a shake)

The second day was the easiest for me. My stomach had adjusted and the juices tasted better. 
The third day was the most difficult. Southern Gent and I went to the movies--the smell of the popcorn was intoxicating. 


Through it all, I honestly felt alive and invigorated. I envisioned a loss of energy and fatigue, not at all! I slept wonderfully and the days slowed down. It was amazing to see the influence food has over our minds. Every other television commercial is food related. The variety of restaurants down the road is endless. This assortment is a gift in some ways, but also can be a huge distraction. 
I consider myself a foodie. I truly enjoy a terrific meal. However, I believe we each need to be more mindful about what we are putting into our system. 
The cleanse informational states it is wise to give our system a break from digesting solid foods, every once in awhile. I plan to continue cleansing in some form. Maybe quarterly. 

The best drink of the week was at dinner, the day after the cleanse ended
Martinis at Thaiphoon Bistro!


For more information on the Cooler Cleanse, visit their site here

No comments:

This site was made with love by Angie Makes