Thursday, May 2, 2013

day 2, Educate Us On Something You Are Good At

I have accepted a blog challenge! The quest is to write every day in May. There is a new topic daily. Check out all the topics here
Day 1: Story of my life in 250 words or less.

Day 2: Educate us on something you are good at.
I struggled to decide what I am truly good at. I am skilled academically, but I didn't want to bore you with textbook stuff. I can hoola-hoop, but not sure on an instructional behind that.
I decided to talk about something we can all relate with. Relationships. As a therapist, every person who walks through my door is struggling with a relationship. Everyone on the planet has relationships in their life. Some are good, some are a work in progress. My romantic relationship is the most important one in my life. I don't ever want to come across as boastful, because there are certainly areas in my life I am not an expert in. But I must say, I am really good at having a strong marriage. Here are my pointers:

-Try diligently not to compete. You are on the same team, not opposing teams.
-Greet your partner with a big smile/grand gesture every.single.time. you see him/her.
-Surprise with a greeting card, just because.
-Say YES to {nearly} everything. If you find yourself saying NO to your partner often, (i.e. golf outings, time with his friends, etc) investigate your own insecurities. You should want your partner to have a happy life.
-Complement daily.
-Refrain from lots of texts, emails, calls during the day. Save your thoughts for later. This will make for a much more enriched evening.
-Be mostly supportive, but also play devil's advocate when you see fit.
-Don't sit in front of the tv every night.
-Play hangman.
-Take walks together.
-Talk nicely about one another, outside of the home.
-No silent treatment.
-No name calling.
-Exercise empathy. We all want to feel understood.
-Don't bring up the past. Forgive and truly move forward.
-Be a warm, welcoming, safe place to land for your partner.
-Talk about deep issues; fears & dreams. I believe emotional intimacy is more important than physical.
-Laugh and be playful.
-Be sure your relationship is unique to any other in your life.
-Try to avoid walking into the house on the telephone.

These strategies only work when each partner is participating in unison. Do any of these resonate with you?


Join me tomorrow for: Things that make you uncomfortable

6 comments:

Tiffany at GirlGoneCoastal said...

Good one, Liz! You ARE a great wife and partner!

Liz said...

thank you Tiff! we are rockin' this challenge! keep up the hard work :)
p.s. i still can't comment on your posts?

Anonymous said...

Liz, will you marry me? Great advice and definitely needed in my life right now! Thank you.

-Rachel R.

Tiffany at GirlGoneCoastal said...

Really?!? Weird? I had other people comment. I need to figure this out.

Tags said...

I am forwarding this to Steve... Great points!!!

SomeFancyPlace said...

love the pointers! just printed it out : )

This site was made with love by Angie Makes