Sunday, December 18, 2011

a most thoughtful gift

My first Christmas in Raleigh, southern gent gifted me one of my most cherished pieces of jewelry. It isn't a fine piece, but it is full of meaning.
I have relocated many a' times. Change is exciting and risky. It was absolutely character building in my journey, to up-root and re-root. I got to know all sorts of people along the path and I believe it molded me to today. My 20's brought me thrill and spontaneity. My 30's have definitely found thrill in settling down. It is stable, consistent and exhilarating...all at once. I think I was chasing this 'state' of well being all along. But I sure had fun on the adventure to find it.
In my life I have lived in Ohio, Kansas, Illinois, Iowa, Arizona, Colorado & North Carolina.
I am very proud of my roots. That's a lot of places! And inside the states were mini-moves too.
So Maya Brenner designed and created {these} simply perfect State necklaces. Apparently celebrities are wearing them too. Of all the places I have lived, I feel the greatest draw to Colorado. A close second & third are Illinois and Iowa. So when southern gent surprised me with the Colorado necklace, my heart skipped a beat. It is simply an outline of the state itself. The state I 'grew up' in. Where my career path transformed. Where I took my education to the next level. Where I lived solo for years. Where I had my first pet {Stan}. Where I spent a Christmas alone, after accepting a position at the University Hospital and asked to report on 12-26. Where I climbed a 14,000 foot mountain. Where friends were like family. Colorado was all mine. I missed my family, but they came to see me often and jetted me to their home too. It was such a formative juncture in my life.


Raleigh is my home now and I looove it. I live with the love of my life, miles from family & alll the little ones. It is exactly where I am supposed to be. I appreciate it completely because I had all those years of autonomy.
But you better believe I plan to visit often and will never forget the places and faces.


If you are interested in wearing your fa-vor-ite State loud and proud, visit the designers website {here}.

I recently read this lovely blog about embroidered wall decor, representing states near and dear to your ♥.



To read the step-by-step instructions, here is the {blog entry}. So stinkin' clever!

Pin It

No comments:

This site was made with love by Angie Makes